April 22nd, 2008

Washington State Provides Funding for Gun Ranges

Through its Shooting Range Program, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) offers supplemental funding to shooting facilities. Approximately $50,000 in competitive grants are expected to be awarded this year (2008), with individual awards ranging from $5,000 to $25,000. Shooting clubs and range operators have until June 30, 2008 to apply for federally-funded grants that can be used to construct, maintain, or expand public shooting-range facilities in Washington state.

The Shooting Range Program, established in 2002, supports development of not-for-profit shooting ranges with proceeds from the federal excise tax on archery equipment and firearms. Designed to help shooting ranges pay for construction or other building expenses, the program is managed on a reimbursement basis. Successful applicants are required to pay for construction and materials and are then reimbursed for up to 75% of the cost. The remaining 25% requires local matching money.

Applicants must complete a detailed application, including information on public range use, an environmental review, program narrative, user fees and charges. Information and applications for the grants are available through the WDFW website, or by contacting the Hunter Education program at (360) 902-8111,or huntered@dfw.wa.gov.

Similar Posts: