Shocking Video of Catastrophic Barrel Failure
In the shooting sports, safety always has to be your number one priority. Even if you have a safe load, if the barrel is obstructed in any way, such as with mud in the barrel, a squib bullet, or a bore-sighting tool left in the barrel, the barrel can blow up, pealing back like a banana skin. Serious injury or even death can result. Below is an amazing video showing a catastrophic barrel failure caused, presumably, by a barrel obstruction — probably mud or dirt. You can see the barrel blow apart, starting at time mark 0:25 seconds.
The rifle is a Browning stainless A-Bolt, caliber unknown. We don’t know for sure, but the barrel probably became obstructed when the shooter allowed the gun to rest muzzle down on the ground, so some mud collected in the bore. Below, we’ve grabbed five frames from the key section of the video. You can see the barrel split into two segments. This shooter, who was NOT wearing eye protection, was uninjured. He is is lucky that the action held and no metal shards blew backwards.
- Greatest Hits: Rifle Barrel Blow-Up Caught on Video
- Safety Advice: Be Careful When Shooting Similar Cartridges
- Browning Produces New Target Rifles in .223, .308, 300 WSM
- Cartridge Confusion with Catastrophic Consequences
- Hunters — Be Careful When Selecting Ammo For Your Fall Hunt