New Stiller 2500X Rimfire Action Revealed — Goes on Sale This Fall
Jerry Stiller of Stiller Precision Firearms has revealed the final pre-production versions of his new 2500X rear lock-up rimfire action. Jerry reports: “I have eight of them as prototypes that have been sent to our best smiths to build on and test. As soon as we hear back (in a month or so?), we will start the next run of 100. There will be plenty to go around and should be available this fall for next year’s builds. Cost will be competitive, estimated $1249.00 retail”. Notably, this new action features a convertible 6 o’clock or 12 o’clock firing pin, giving the owner the choice of his preferred configuration. The trigger hanger can also be reversed for a 0.030 change in pin fall.
Jerry provided these photos of the first 2500X action off the production line. Jerry notes that: “The only difference with the final production version is that the body will be melonited on the inside for super-slick operation and the outside will still be polished for great looks”.
Stiller 2500X Rimfire Action Features
- Dual rear locking lugs symmetric about the horizontal centerline.
- Super tight tolerances on all fitted parts.
- Firing pin design easily unscrews.
- 6 o’clock or 12 o’clock firing pin. The other pin acts as a guide to eliminate any off-axis canting that can impair ignition and cause flyers.
- Cocking piece controlled by a shroud so it is always centered in the trigger and cannot rub.
- Easy loading ramp design similar to the Anschutz.
- Entrance cams in the body.
- Beveled loading port
- Four #8 screw holes for scope mounts, plus two #6 screwholes (in between) also reamed for .125 pins. That way a long one-piece mount or just front-only will both be accommodated.
- Threaded bolt handle so that any available knob will work. Stiller offers three knob types.
State-of-the-Art Machining Technologies Used to Make 2500X Actions
A multi-step process is employed to deliver precision tolerances on every 2500X action. The process begins with a drilled, undersize hole. Then the body is cut and heat-treated/stress-relieved with oversize outside diameter (OD). The Inside diameter hole is wire-EDM finished after heat-treating for optimal sizing and straightness. Next the OD is ground to size and the action face and threads are machined. The action is finally engraved, hand-finished, and melonited on the inside (unless the customer specifies a non-melonited version). Individual parts receive special attention — the extractors are wire-EDM cut, and the bolt lugs are factory-lapped with special devices to load the lugs as they would be when fired.
- SHOT Show Report: Stiller’s New Rimfire Benchrest Action
- New 2500 Series Rear-Lug Rimfire Actions from Stiller Precision
- Stiller Precision Expands Shop, Will Offer New RBLP Action in Summer 2008
- SHOT Show Report: Stiller Unveils Four New Actions
- SHOT Show Report: New Actions from Stiller Precision