Teaching New Shooters — CMP Training Resources
The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) offers a wide variety of resources for novice shooters and juniors. These materials help novices learn basic marksmanship skills and get started in competition. Some resources can be downloaded from the CMP website, while others are available for purchase from the CMP E-Store. In addition, The CMP maintains a Coaching Resources webpage with dozens of informative articles. Here are some of the CMP articles you can find online:
- On the Mark Magazine
This monthly magazine offers competition reports, news about junior events, along with instructional tips and coaching information.
- Gary Anderson Instructional Articles
This link opens an index page with 30+ articles by Gary Anderson, DCME. Topics include: Introduction to Marksmanship, Sight Adjustment and Zeroing, How to Practice, Rimfire Sporter and much more.
- Teaching Rifle Positions to New Shooters
This 10-page PDF guide teaches prone, standing and kneeling positions to new shooters. Contains dozens of photos and illustrations.
- A Junior Shooter’s Guide to Air Rifle Safety
This 20-page booklet, written for junior air rifle shooters, provides safety rules, procedures and guidelines.
- Rifle Safety and Marksmanship Test
This is for coaches to use with the Rifle Safety and Marksmanship Training CD.
These short marksmanship trainging videos cover the basics of the Kneeling, Standing, and Prone postions. (NOTE: these are live links — videos will launch when you click.)
Power Point Presentations
Right-click and “save as” the links below to download these Powerpoint presentations to your computer. These can be used in a classroom/seminar setting, or can be reviewed by shooters on their own. NOTE: Clinking a link will initiate the download to your default download folder!
- Principles of Marksmanship, by Gary Anderson, DCME. This is an outstanding presentation well worth watching. Not just for juniors.
- Mental Training, the Triangle of Success, by Mark Taylor. Not just for juniors, this presentation can help all shooters improve their “mental game”.
- How to Run a Successful Camp or Clinic, by Michele Makucevich, Rhode Island CMP State Director. This presentation is appropriate for clubs or youth groups.
CMP PRINT RESOURCES
Coaching Young Rifle Shooters
Gary Anderson, DCME, has authored a great book on instructing junior shooters. This full-color, 200-page treatise is probably the most comprehensive marksmanship coaching guide in print. The author, Gary Anderson, knows something about high-level competition — over his illustrious career he captured two Olympic gold medals, won seven World Championships, set six world records, and held 16 national titles. In this book, Gary provides coaches with all the tools and techniques needed to help young shooters (and novices) improve their skills. Packed with useful illustrations, this 200-page book sells for $19.95 plus S&H through the CMP E-Store.
USAMU Service Rifle Marksmanship Guide
and USAMU Advanced Pistol Guide
These illustrated books, written by U.S. Army Marksmanship Team personnel, provide detailed instructions on the basic and advanced skills of High Power service rifle shooting and service pistol and bullseye pistol target shooting. The books cost $6.95 each through the CMP E-Store.
- CMP Resources for New Shooters and Juniors
- New ‘Coaching Young Rifle Shooters’ Book by Gary Anderson
- Anderson Book Explains How to Train New Shooters
- "On the Mark" Newsletter for Junior Marksmen
- CMP On the Mark Magazine Provides Important Safety Tips