AR-15 Bolt Sheds Lugs — Can You Figure Out What Happened?
Black Rifle Gone Bad…
Take a close look at this AR-15 bolt. Notice something missing — namely all the lugs? A healthy AR-15 bolt has seven (7) bearing lugs (plus an extractor hump). For all seven lugs to have sheared “clean off”, something serious must have happened to this bolt assembly. The folks at Brownells published this “lost luggage” image on Facebook to spur discussion. So, you AR experts out there — what do you think caused the problem here? Was it over-pressure, metal defect, headspace problem, gas system malfunction (or some combination of issues)? Post your theories in the comment section below…
- Headspace 101: What You Need to Know
- Primer Pocket Rocket — Good Reason to Wear Safety Glasses
- Danger of Defective Primers — Primer Pocket Blow-Through
- Powder Valley’s $20,000 Giveaway — 12 Days of Christmas
- Ammo Failure (Detonation?) in 3-Gun Match — Watch and Wince