Record Number of Firearm Sales on ‘Black Friday’ 2012
On November 23, 2012 (Black Friday), Americans purchased more guns than on any other day in history. Gun sales (based on NICS background check data) set a new single-day record. This year, the FBI logged 154,873 Black Friday background checks, up 20% from the 129,166 back-ground checks done on Black Friday 2011. And, since a NICS check may authorize purchase of multiple guns, the 154,873 number may “under-count” the actual number of firearms purchased on Black Friday this year.
Recent election outcomes may have influenced the spike in gun sales. People are concerned that more restrictive gun control laws may be enacted during President Obama’s second term. Writing in Ammoland.com, AWR Hawkins declared: “The bottom line: Americans want their guns. And it appears they’re getting them before Obama has the chance to do anything about it.” Hawkins adds: “As in 2011, women were increasingly among those buying guns on Black Friday. And first time buyers, whether male or female, were also well represented.”
- Record Number of Firearms Transactions on Black Friday 2015
- Black Friday 2016 — Most Gun Sales in One Day in U.S. History
- Black Friday 2014 — More Guns Sold Than Ever Before…
- Record Gun Sales Forecast for ‘Black Friday’ 2012
- 2016 Shaping Up as Record-Setting Year for Gun Sales