Volquartsen Semi-Auto 17 WSM Debuts at 2014 SHOT Show
It’s been a long time coming, but we are finally starting to see supplies of Winchester’s 17 Winchester SuperMag (17 WSM) rimfire ammunition, along with factory rifles chambered for the fast little 17 WSM cartridge (it runs up to 3000 fps). Leading the way among new 17 WSM firearms is a hot little rifle from Volquartsen Custom. This new Volquartsen semi-auto 17 WSM will be unveiled at SHOT Show next week in Las Vegas.
Volquartsen’s engineers tell us: “The 17 Winchester SuperMag was introduced at the 2013 SHOT Show. Soon after that we went to work on a semi-auto platform for this exciting round. Visit us in SHOT Show Booth #11329 to find out more about this exciting new rifle.”
About the 17 WSM
17 WSM semi-auto prototypes have been built and tested. Volquartsen will begin taking orders at the 2014 SHOT Show. The initial release will feature a laminated wood stock, stainless steel receiver and a stainless steel bull barrel.
- Standard magazine capacity will be 8 rounds.
- The rifle will utilize a direct blowback action.
- We are pursuing additional stock options as well as options for a lightweight version of the rifle, however there is no anticipated release date for either.
- The 17 WSM cartridge necessitates a different action than our 17 HMR rifles. Unfortunately, 17 HMR rifles cannot be converted to 17 WSM.
New 3000 FPS Rimfire Round
Winchester has created a new, high-velocity 17-caliber rimfire cartridge, the .17 Winchester Super Magnum (aka .17 WSM). Winchester offers .17 WSM ammo with a choice of three bullet types: 20gr plastic tip (Varmint HV), 25gr plastic tip (Varmint HE), and a 20gr JHP (Super-X). The 20-grain varieties boast a 3000 FPS muzzle velocity, earning honors as the fastest Rimfire ammo ever made.
|.17 Winchester Super Mag Specifications||Symbol||Sub Brand||Bullet Weight||Muzzle Velocity|
|S17W20||Varmint HV||20-gr Plastic Tip||3,000 fps|
|S17W25||Varmint HE||25-gr Plastic Tip||2,600 fps|
|X17W20||Super-X||20-gr JHP||3,000 fps|
Winchester claims that all .17 WSM ammo types shoot much flatter than the .22 Win Mag and .17 HMR, while delivering 150 percent more energy than both. In addition, the .17 WSM “bucks the wind” better than any other rimfire ammo — exhibiting significant less horizontal drift at extended ranges.
- Winchester’s New 3000 FPS .17 Win Super Mag Rimfire
- 17 Win Super Mag Rimfire from Winchester — Field Report
- 17 Win Super Mag Rimfire — Shoots Great, As Promised
- Grafs.com and Powder Valley Have 17 HMR Ammunition in Stock
- SHOT Show Report: Volquartsen Fusion–Ultimate 'Rimfire Tactical' Rifle?