Vice Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan Supports Gun Rights
You’ve heard by now that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has chosen Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan as his vice presidential running mate. Since Ryan’s selection as a VP candidate, the mainstream media has focused primarily on Ryan’s positions on government spending, health care policies, and debt reduction.
You may be wondering, where does Ryan stand on gun rights issues? In a nutshell, Ryan is a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and he has lead efforts to protect the shooting sports and hunting. An avid hunter, Ryan is the former co-chairman of the bi-partisan Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus. Ryan has received an “A” grade from the NRA for his overall voting record. Among other things, Ryan has voted to protect the right of hunters to use traditional ammunition and to prohibit suing manufacturers and retailers for the criminal misuse of firearms. He has also supported a national cross-state standard for concealed carry. Here are highlights of Rep. Ryan’s voting record in Congress, on matters relating to hunting and gun rights:
- Voted YES to protect the right of hunters to use traditional ammunition.
- Voted YES to prohibit suing manufacturers and retailers for the criminal misuse of firearms.
- Voted YES to decrease background check waiting period from 3 days to 1 day for a firearm purchase at a gun show.
- Supported national cross-state standard for concealed carry.
- Opposed the gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington, DC.
- Ryan Pierce Sets 450-24X F-Open Record with Home-Built Gun
- Final Vote on Sportsmen’s Act of 2012 Expected Today
- 50 BMG Barrett M107 — Off-Hand First-Shot-Hit at 1000 Yards
- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation Moves Forward
- Federal Court Dismisses Lawsuit to Ban Traditional Ammunition